Skip to main content

Try a sample from Sea Stories.


Try a sample from Sea Stories.




BACK TO IRAQ--NOT TO AN AMERICAN'S TASTE


For the first two months of my United Nations tour in Iraq and Kuwait, I was a patrol base commander in the Central Sector.  Each patrol base was usually staffed with 8 to 10 officer observers.  Everyone was on their own for the morning and noon meals, but we all rotated the cooking duties for the evening meal.  

Chicken, fish, rice, potatoes, and healthy doses of curry generally found their way into this international food festival.  My contributions were tacos,  camp fire stew--a recipe that I had acquired from my sister--and of course, a turkey dinner for Thanksgiving.  Not every entrée was to every officer's taste, but we all did our best to sample the dining fare that was presented.   I held my own in this subsistence quest until one evening in November.
 
On this particular evening, the officer from Ghana said that he was making a special dish from home as one of his countrymen was staying overnight at our patrol base.  He also cautioned me that it might not be to an American's taste.  I had heard that line a few times over the past few weeks, and it usually just translated into this has a lot of curry in it.  I  liked curry, and the more the better.  So I approached that evening without the slightest apprehension. 

Why should I have been concerned?  In the Basic School, I used to eat worms, grasshoppers, and other assorted insects just to annoy the officers with aviation guarantees.  Besides, they were good enough for John the Baptist, and those skinny green grasshoppers are pretty tasty anyway.  I didn't even get suspicious when the French and Russian officers came to see me after leaving the kitchen and asked me if they could conduct an extra evening patrol.  I agreed and they said they would eat before they left.
 
All of this considered, I almost gagged when I walked into the trailer where we ate our evening meals.  I sat down at the table and was presented with a bowl of what appeared to be, and was later confirmed as peanut butter soup.  The smell of boiling peanut butter supplanted all of the breathable air.  The soup did have more substance than just peanut butter and as I moved my spoon through the bowl, something floated to the top.  It was a fish head, and I must have been mistaken for the guest of honor, because I had more than one in my bowl. 

I think there may have been other parts of the fish in my bowl, but the heads had my full attention.  They just kept bobbing to the top of the bowl.  Having boldly accepted the offer of this officer's home cooking, it would have been in bad taste for me to leave abruptly.  My dilemma was whether to consume the meal quickly and excuse myself or eat it very slowly and hope some of it would evaporate.  Neither appeared to be a viable solution.
 
It was at this point that I wondered if the fish heads were really just garnish, perhaps the equivalent of Parsley in Ghana.  My independent query was dismissed as wishful thinking with a crunching sound as two of the other officers began chomping on the heads in their bowls.  A few minutes later, the Ghanaian officer noticed that I was not eating my heads and he graciously offered to eat them with the rest of his bowl of soup.  I quickly spooned them into his bowl, making sure that much of the soup went with them.  

I completed as much of my bowl of soup as I could, thanked the cook, and politely excused myself.  I did not appear to offend anyone as nobody else even looked up from the melee of head chomping and soup slurping going on.  I'm sure that my international host for that evening had gone to some trouble to make this special meal and would have not wanted to know that within a few minutes I had deposited my share along the perimeter fence of the compound.  
 
 
The good thing about being a man is that you never feel obligated to ask for the recipe. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You might be a grunt if...

I have published this in many places, but thought now would be a good time to put it forth once more. GRUNT A few years ago, Jeff Foxworthy had some fun with a cultural background he simply classified as redneck.  Having spent 20 years in the Marine  Infantry, I offer a similar perspective on that calling simply know as grunt . You might be a grunt if… You can't make sense of any of the abbreviations used by the New York  Stock Exchange, but know by heart the trading value of every component of a C-Ration  or MRE . When buying a new house, your first examine fields of fire and dead space in the front yard. Within two hours of moving into a new home, you post a fire plan sketch in the kitchen, master bedroom, and forward one to the commanding officer of your new duty station. During a chance encounter with homeless people, you find yourself leading the discussion on the insulation value of cardboard. You still carry a John Wayne  (P-38) around y

Answers to Out of the Box 1

Out of the Box 1:  Only the Beginning The Answers WAIT!  If you just happened upon this post, first follow this link to the brain teaser. 10        A in the B of R             Amendments in the Bill of Rights 2          M for SS             Mules for Sister Sarah 2          RD in a YW             Roads Diverged in a Yellow Wood 12        AM             Angry Men 52        W in a Y             Weeks in a Year 300      P in a PG             Pins in a Perfect Game 366      D in a LY             Days in a Leap Year 2          DD in DJ             Daily Doubles in Double Jeopardy 4          S in a Y             Seasons in a Year 2          S of R in a B of KRB             Scoops of Raisins in a Box of Kellogg's Raisin Bran

Book signing at the CPCH is this Friday!

Author Tom Spence to sign books at the Cumberland Presbyterian Children's Home Retired  Marine   Corps  officer,  pastor , and western Oklahoma’s most prolific author  Tom Spence  will be at the Cumberland Presbyterian Children's Home on Friday, 17 August 2018 for a book signing from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. in the campus library. Tom will have several of his titles, but the featured book will be  Throw Away Kids:  Are we concerned enough to get involved? Tom  will also feature a good down home baseball story for the children— Tough Day at the Plate .  Tom’s books will be available for a  donation  to the Cumberland Presbyterian Children’s Home.  For those already interested, his books may be viewed at this author page at Amazon.com . Tom, Just who are you to talk about some else's children? That's a fair question. I don't like people or organizations or the government messing around with the inner wor